Author: Alexander Khalifman
Publication Year: 2006
TEXT comments and Figurine Algebraic Notations
The 'Chess Stars Openings' series present an entirely new approach to the study of chess openings which can provoke the interest of chess players of all levels.
From the Introduction:
You are holding in your hands volume seven of our series “Opening
for White according to Anand – 1.e4”, in which we have analyzed
one of the most popular variations of the French Defence – the
Winawer system (1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Bb4).
... French Defence is a quite interesting and unique opening in which both opponents must solve difficult problems right after the very beginning of the game and most of these problems are characteristic only for that particular opening. Of course, it is absolutely necessary to know thoroughly the opening theory, but the all-round understanding of the arising pawn-structures and the complex strategy of that opening should combine with an extensive practical experience.
... I hope the book will enrich your understanding of the French Defence too, because that opening has a special place in contemporary chess and quite deservedly so."
A.Khalifman 14th World Chess Champion
Part 1. 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e5
Part 2. 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e5 c5 5.a3
- 5...Ba5 6.b4 cxb4; 6...cxd4 7.Qg4 Ne7 8.bxa5 dxc3 9.Qxg7 Rg8 10.Qxh7 without 10...Nbc6
- 5...Ba5 6.b4 cxd4 7.Qg4 Ne7 8.bxa5 dxc3 9.Qxg7 Rg8 10.Qxh7 Nbc6
Part 3. 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e5 c5 5.a3 Bxc3
- bxc3 6 various without 6...Qc7, 6...Qa5, 6...Ne7
- 6...Qc7 7.Qg4 f6
- 6...Qc7 7.Qg4 f5
Part 4. 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e5 c5 5.a3 Bxc3 6.bxc3 Ne7 7.Qg4
- various without 7...Qc7 and 7...0-0
- 7...Qc7 8.Qxg7 Rg8 9.Qxh7 cxd4 10.Ne2 without 10...Nbc6
- 7...Qc7 8.Qxg7 Rg8 9.Qxh7 cxd4 10.Ne2 Nbc6 11.f4 without 11...Bd7
- 7...Qc7 8.Qxg7 Rg8 9.Qxh7 cxd4 10.Ne2 Nbc6 11.f4 Bd7
Part 5. 4.e5 c5 5.a3 Bxc3 6.bxc3 Ne7 7.Qg4 0-0 8.Bd3
- various without 8...f5 and 8...Nbc6
- 8...f5 9.exf6 Rxf6 10.Bg5 various; 10...Rf7 11.Qh5 h6
- 8...f5 9.exf6 Rxf6 10.Bg5 Rf7 11.Qh5 g6
- 8...Nbc6 9.Qh5 various; 9...Ng6 10.Nf3 various; 10...Qc7 11.Be3 without 11...c4
- 8...Nbc6 9.Qh5 Ng6 10.Nf3 Qc7 11.Be3 c4 12.Bxg6 fxg6 13.Qg4 without 13...Bd7
- 8...Nbc6 9.Qh5 Ng6 10.Nf3 Qc7 11.Be3 c4 12.Bxg6 fxg6 13.Qg4 Bd7
Index of Variations